|| - LankaNewZ - ||

More about Sri Lankan News.


Troops have taken control of the Elephant Pass area and the A9 road, President Mahinda Rajapaksa said a short while ago. Addressing the nation on national television the president announced the A9 highway was now in total control of the government after 23 years. President Rajapaksa expressed his gratitude to the security forces for taking control of the area. "Today I address you at a time when our brave soldiers have achieved a special and historic vicotry. Our war heroes were able to completely liberate Elephant Pass from the clutches of the LTTE," he said.

Three Air Force personnel and four civilians died in an claymore bomb attack at Morawewa, Workers, who were employed in an irrigation development project funded by the Government in the area, were travelling in a bus & the byroad claymore was triggered targeting the civilians. Air Force personnel were providing escort to the civilians and six others also were injured in the incident, Media Center for National Security states.

Opposition Leader Ranil Wickramasinghe charges that President Mahinda Rajapakse and his government is responsible for the assassination of Sunday Leader editor Lasantha Wickramathunga. He said that the killing was a part of a conspiracy to paralyze the democracy and the entire civilian life of the country. The Opposition Leader made this statement addressing a joint opposition press briefing held last evening (08) to deny the assassination of the journalist and to protest the government. He says that this assassination signals that the government is eliminating all the opponents like clergy and layman politicians and trade unionists in the same way the LTTE did. Wickramasinghe said that the government had attempted to influence media to minimize the publicity for the news of the attack at Sirasa Media Network saying it was an internal work. Dallus Alahapperuma’s and other persons’ Ministries tried to prompt media not to point finger to the government regarding Sirasa attack. Wickramasinghe said that this spate of killing was commenced after President Rajapakse became the Media Minister. He added that there should be an end to this approach.

The schedule for the upcoming tour of Pakistan has been released by Sri Lanka Cricket today (Jan. 8).

According to the media release the following are the dates for the games:

January 21: 1st ODI, January 24: 2nd ODI and January 27: 3rd ODI.

February 22 to 26: 1st Test and March 2 to 6: 2nd test.

Meanwhile Brendon Kuruppu has been appointed as the manager for the tour of Pakistan by Sri Lanka Cricket.

Soldiers of Sri Lanka Army’s 55 Division have liberated Soranpattu village this evening (Jan 8), said defence sources in Jaffna peninsula. Soranpattu is situated 9 Km from Elephant Pass and 5.2 Km from Pallai town along the Jaffna- Kandy A-9 road.

According to the sources, infantrymen of 6 Sri Lanka Light Infantry (6SLLI), 7 Vijayaba Infantry Regiment (7 VIR), 4 Gemunu Watch (4 GW), and 8 VIR have entered the village after destroying terrorist hideouts in the area.

Earlier in the day, troops of Army 53 Division marching along the South of A-9 axis liberated the Pallai town.

LankaNewZ is In a Upgration Mode - So Pls Keep In Touch With The NewZ line - We Will Supply a Great Service As Soon As Possible

The Chief Editor of The Sunday Leader Lasantha Wickramatunga who was shot this morning in Attidiya, Ratmalana, passed away a short while ago, Director of the Kalubowila Hospital Dr. Anil Jaasinghe said.

The Government said yesterday that the Cabinet had taken a unanimous decision, in accordance with a memorandum submitted by President Mahinda Rajapaksa, to proscribe the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Ealam (LTTE), which continued to engage in blatant human rights violations.

At a media briefing yesterday evening which was attended by several Cabinet Ministers, Minister Maithripala Sirisena noted that the Cabinet had taken the decision as repeated requests to the aforesaid organization to eschew terrorism and participate in the democratic process had failed.

Minister Nimal Siripala De Silva on the occasion said that the LTTE continued to recruit children and women against their will, and also kept denying free movement to civilians using them as a human shield, leaving no option for the Government but to go for a ban.

Ajantha Mendis finished with seven wickets in the match, as Sri Lanka completed a series win against Bangladesh on the fourth day in Chittagong Dilshan is the Man of the Match as well as the Man of the Series. He said: "I can't forget this Test. I know I am the 4th Sri Lankan to score a hundred in each innings. I stuck to my game plan which was to attack and I won the battle."

Troops of Army 57 Division, Task Force 3 and Task Force 4 have opened up the A-34 road (Mankulam- Mullaittivu) road up to Tanniyuttu, following recent counter terrorist operations on the Mullaittivu battlefront, reveal battlefield sources.

Sri Lanka Air Force fighter jets and MI-24 helicopter gunships carried out air strikes at LTTE gatherings in the Mullaittivu area in support of advancing troops this morning (Jan 5). According to the defence sources, the air strikes were carried out between 11 Am to 12.30 PM targeting LTTE cadres withdrawing into jungle areas. The sources citing pilots confirmed that the attacks were successful.

Airtel, the newest mobile phone 3G network in Sri Lanka, on Monday announced it was launching the product on January 12. Seen here is a crowd outside the branches. Sri Lankans counted the days when will the Airtel reach them. Due to that reason, people gathered to the branches to get a connection from the time that Airtel telecasted their first advertisement through medias yesterday (05) morning. However this will the start for a great revolution in communication networks in Sri Lanka.

The Sirasa Media Station in Depanama was Attached by an Armed gang in today morning at about 02.10AM. They attached the station's control room and a Sirasa member said that they tried to enter to the Sirasa FM / Shakthi FM / Yes FM & YFM radio stations too, but they unabled to do it. LankaNewZ deplore these attaches to the media and this must be stopped.

Bharti Airtel Started their Ad compaign in Sri Lanka from today morning. Its was a great begining as calling Sri Lankans as "Hello Sri Lanka" . They have started the Sim registrations from today and anyone can order a sim card by selecting a own number. They planned to start their Network officially from 12th of January in 2009. Some said that the launch of Airtel was delayed and they got more time to reach Sri lanka, as they informed the nation that they launching their service in Sri Lanka soon, in long time ago. How ever now it is the time to enjoy the new charges and services of Airtel 3G network.

A petrol bomb was hurled into the premises of MTV/MBC Pvt Ltd in Depanama, Pannipitiya on Friday night around 9.30, Maharagama Police said. However the home made bomb had not exploded. It is not clear who was behind the attack, Police said.

President Mahinda Rajapaksa addressing the nation today said that the capture of Kilinochchi was not a victory against a particular community by another community but a victory for the entire nation. This was a victory against terrorism that threatened to divide the nation, he said. President Rajapaksa expressed his gratitude to the soldiers who made the victory possible adding that they made a lot of sacrifices for this victory. In conclusion he told the LTTE to lay down arms and surrender in the face of imminent defeat.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A short while ago, our brave and heroic troops have fully captured Kilinohchi that was considered the main bastion of the LTTE. Our have troops have completely taken over the fortress of the LTTE that has been described by our own leaders and accepted internationally as the most powerful terrorist organization in the world," said President Mahinda Rajapaksa announcing the capture of Kilinochchi to the nation at the Presidential Secretariat this afternoon. (Jan 02).
"Whatever the words or language used to describe it, this is truly an incomparable victory. What our heroic troops have achieved is not only the capture of the great fortress of the LTTE, but a major victory in the world's battle against terrorism. The entire world must today appreciate the outstanding success of the Sri Lankan troops.," the President said. Here is the text of the Presidents announcement on the fall of Kilinochchi: Venerable Members of the Maha Sangha, Members of the clergy of all other religions, My dear friends, who represent all communities and religions in Sri Lanka. You will recall that two weeks ago I told you from this very place that the New Year that will dawn will be the Year of Heroic Victory of our troops. Today, on the second day of this heroic year, I am now ready to reveal to you the proud news of the most honourable victory in the annals of military heroism that runs through many centuries of our history. Friends, Although the leader of the LTTE had said only a few days ago that the capture of Kilinochchi was only a dream of Mahinda Rajapaksa, in truth it was not my dream alone. It was the constant dream of all Sri Lankans, whether Sinhala, Tamil or Muslim, who are opposed to separatism, racism, and terrorism, and have always, sought peace, freedom and democracy. Today our heroic troops have made that dream a reality. A short while ago, our brave and heroic troops have fully captured Kilinohchi that was considered the main bastion of the LTTE. Our have troops have completely taken over the fortress of the LTTE that has been described by our own leaders and accepted internationally as the most powerful terrorist organization in the world. Whatever the words or language used to describe it, this is truly an incomparable victory. What our heroic troops have achieved is not only the capture of the great fortress of the LTTE, but a major victory in the world's battle against terrorism. The entire world must today appreciate the outstanding success of the Sri Lankan troops. One must not belittle this victory as one that has been won by one community over another. It should not be interpreted as defeat of the North by the South. This is a victory for our entire nation and country. It is a decisive victory over savage terrorism that was playing around with the blood, muscle and sinews of humans. It is a victory over venomous separatism that sought to divide people on grounds of race and religion. There were some who tried to present Kilinochchi as the capital of a separate state. We have seen in the recent past how this was believed not only by the international media but also by those engaged in diplomacy. No more is this capital of its dream separate state the property of the LTTE. The mandate given to me by the people in the Presidential Election of 2005 was to ensure that the entire country is governed under a single legal system. It was to affirm the unity of the country that had been divided through various agreements. We directed the Armed Forces and all defence agencies to implement that mandate given by the people. Today we see those expectations becoming a reality. 2009 has already increased our faith is the success of this achievement. Friends,
Our heroic troops have sacrificed much to achieve this extraordinary victory. They sacrificed their limbs, organs and lives for this noble task. Therefore, on this victorious occasion it is but right that we remain grateful to those heroic troops who have sacrificed so much for the country. On this historic occasion, as the Head of State, I extend the honour and gratitude of the entire nation to our heroic troops. Similarly, I bestow the honour and gratitude of the entire country on the Chief of Staff, Commanders of the Army, Navy and Air Force, the Inspector General of Police, the Secretary of Defence, and all commanding officers who gave leadership to this historic victory. It is necessary to include all of the citizens of Sri Lanka as stakeholders in this great victory. History will record the manner in which you have rejected the many conspiracies that were launched to betray and prevent this victory, and assisted in this great task with true and honest love for the motherland. All of us have given the necessary leadership to this battle in our own way, fearless of the dangers to our lives. Friends, Our motherland wants you to have this commitment and patience for a short while longer. I call upon you to continue with your commitment to the country until the final act of this false Eelam struggle is played to its finish in the small territory of jungle in Mullaitivu it is confined to today, and the LTTE is fully and finally defeated. I also wish to send a message; the final message to the LTTE, to lay down their arms and surrender. The time is not very far when the people of the north who have been held hostage by the LTTE for several decades will be able to enjoy the freedom that is their right. As the Head of State of Sri Lanka I give you my pledge today, that not only shall we accept the responsibility to ensure your own security and freedom, but the future security and freedom of your children, too. Let us all be committed to build one Sri Lankan nation that stands with dignity and pride under a single flag. Let us pledge to be a single nation in an undivided country. Our collective commitment will undoubtedly rise above all obstacles and challenges that may lie ahead. May you be blessed by the Noble Triple Gem May you receive the blessings of all Deities.

The Central Bank (CB) on Wednesday assured the public that there is no risk at Seylan Bank following the crisis at Golden Key, both of which are part of Ceylinco Consolidated, headed by Lalith Kotelawala. CB Governor Ajith Nivard Cabraal told reporters that their move to appoint Bank of Ceylon to manage Seylan was done in a bid to stop the imminent danger of a run on Seylan. “At the right time we managed to step in,” he said. He also said that Central Bank cannot step in with regard to Golden Key as it is not a registered company with the regulator.

The launch plans of the Sri Lankan arm of leading Indian mobile operator, Bharti Airtel Lanka (Airtel), has reportedly been delayed and will be launched in Jan 2009 as the Indian parent company “has still not granted sanction to start operations”. Airtel, rated one of the best performing companies in the world, was awarded last year the licence to provide 2G and 3G mobile services in Sri Lanka. The company announced early this year its commitment to investing approximately $200 million in setting up and expanding its operations in the country over the next five years. “Airtel was looking at launching somewhere on Dec 23, and they said that this is a tentative date as the company still has not got approval from their head office in India for the launch date,” the Sunday Times newspaper quoted a senior telecom industry official as saying. Although Airtel officials were not immediately available for comment, the telecom industry official said that the widely-expected mobile service might be launched next year. Airtel, which is the fifth mobile operator in Sri Lanka, cleared some issues with the existing operators such as Dialog, Mobitel, Tigo and Hutch on the interconnection charges last month. The media report said that the increasing “cut throat competition” amongst the existing competitors has triggered a price war in the industry and Airtel’s impending launch “has aggravated this situation”. Although the Sri Lankan market is small, it is crowded and according to latest statistics, of the total population of 20 million, six million have mobile phones. The fixed line and mobile phone penetration in Sri Lanka is relatively high as no less than 40 percent of the households, other than the war-ravaged north and east, have access to a phone.
Visit, The Official site of Airtel Lanka
Head Office of Airtel More information log onto www.airtellanka.co.cc/

Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)